Monday 30 August 2010

Heavenly Science

I'm sometimes asked if I'm spiritual. Of course I'm not spiritual in the theistic sense, being an atheist, but there are atheists who consider themselves spiritual beings: Carl Sagan, Sam Harris, for example. I don't think I am, but I do have a sense of wonder and awe about the world, whether it's about our cosmological origins, or the new ideas in earthly sciences.

I guess this is the closest I'd come to heaven - being surrounded by fascinating people figuring out what makes the world go round, and how to make it go round better. Their enthusiasm is palpable.

For all Christians go on about what their God gives them it just seems pretty lame compared to discovering new stuff about the universe, or creating fascinating new content that solves very human problems.

Science Foo Camp 2009: by Nature Video.



I guess this un-conference format doesn't make for easy video, and it's by invite only. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Maybe that's something that could come out of this type of event. We need a really cool new method of experiencing these events as if we were there.

Revelation


Some scientists and mathematicians can have experiences that can be considered revelations:



No comments: